A new app for Android and iPhone adds a fun new twist to sending selfies.
If you are like me, then you were probably curious as to why there has been a new trend that included people anywhere and everywhere taking pictures of themselves making weird faces. We can thank Snapchat for this new trend.
Snapchat is a new app designed to share little photo moments quickly with your friends. It’s a very simple concept.
1) Take a picture
2) Decided how long you want the photo to be viewed. (1-10 seconds)
3) Add some decoration or a caption
Snapchat isn’t about capturing the traditional Kodak moment. It’s about communicating with the full range of human emotion — not just what appears to be pretty or perfect. Like when I think I’m good at imitating the face of astar-nosed mole, or if I want to show my friend the girl I have a crush on (it would be awkward if that got around), and when I’m away at college and miss my Mom…er…my friends. – Evan, Snapchat creator.
Snapchat has becoming a part of my daily social networking. I do it everywhere and take pictures of anything. I especially like to draw on top of my picture or video snaps with the paint tool. But with the good, comes the bad, and often times, the ugly.
Snapchat made picture sharing a lot easier. When I want to picture text someone, the picture I send saves to my cameral roll. When I go back through my photos, I don’t want to find my embarrassing selfies that I took to share with close friends. Snapchat eliminates this problem by essentially destroying the photo once it is viewed. You can’t even look back at what you sent. Once it’s sent, it’s sent. Done. Simple. Easy. Get’s the point across.
Sent this little gem to my friends
A large majority of snaps are pictures of yourself. You’re going to use the front camera on your device and you’re going to make a weird face. It’s not the cutest thing to see when going through your daily life. Other people are going to see you. It is even weirder when someone catches you who doesn’t know what Snapchat is and then you have to explain why you are taking a picture of yourself making a duck face in the middle of the library. I decided to make up this game where where I catch people snapping. I love it because when you are in the act of snapping someone, you are in your own little world. It’s hilarious to see people go through the process of thinking of a pose, taking the photo (usually multiple times), and then laughing to themselves as they send it. Props to those who can make sending snaps as casual as possible. I strive to be you.
Here are some good snaps in action:
Let’s face it, no one looks good from the front camera. I can guarantee that 99% of my snaps are ugly pictures of my face and the other 1% is of food. I only send the ugly faces because I know they can only be seen for 10 seconds. You get the real me, usually without makeup and some insane hair.
Also there are some people who will send anything in Snapchat. And when I say anything, I mean ANYTHING. So there is that ugly to take in account as well.
But here is what my snaps commonly look like:
When I first heard the rumors about this app, I heard “OMG it’s so cool, you send a picture and then it’s deleted”. K, cool that’s great. But we all have that lovely feature on our phones that let’s us screen shot. “Oh don’t worry Linds you can’t screen shot it’s not allowed”. False. You totally can screenshot. So beware! The person who sent the photo does get a notification telling them their photo had been screenshotted. But really how much does that actually help or do anything? You just get to know that someone decided to save the ugly picture of your face. Splendid.
To sum up; be cautious of the snaps you send and open up, who knows what could be in there. Also if you see someone taking selfies, let’s not make fun because in the inside we really all love sending and receiving Snapchats. Those selfie takers are just like us, no harm done. It’s ok everyone, I’m not judging you. Snap in class. I do it. Snap in the bathroom. That’s funny. But if it’s actual selfie, be prepared to be made fun of 🙂
Hope your day is filled with tons of fun and embarassing snaps!